Saturday, October 07, 2006

See mom, see mom rejoice.

When it comes to the way I deal with Owen and Aidan's language issues, and their "diagnosis" (PDD-NOS), I have felt completely alone and isolated. I worry that people don't take me seriously, yet somehow I have discovered this stregnth to perservere in my attitude - that there is nothing wrong, or disordered with my children. They have their perspective and path, which I have learned how to accomodate without insisting they have a mental disorder or defect. I They are whole beings. They are not broken. They do not need to be cured or rehabiliated.

And then there was this report on CBC's Quirks and Quarks. You can hear it for yourself, and finally hear someone else talking about the same damn thing that I have been insisting these past 7 years. I found other people blogging about this, and suddenly, I realize that I am NOT ALONE. Do you realize how important this is to me? I don't feel like the lone whing-nut. Wow. Its pretty overwhelming to be truthful.

Right now, I am tumbling head-first into Aidan's path...in the direction of Owen's...but this time it is easier. I don't have to go through all the heartache of accepting a debilitating mental condition and gradually learn to think my way into a perspective I do not have moral and ethical concerns about. Now I can say to someone...hey, did you read the reasearch that these cats are doing in Montreal? Did you realize that my kids don't have problem, its US with the problem, in insisting that there is a uniform and predicatable progression of normal childhood development?

I can safely now, do the dance of Joy.

And P.S new full time job is awesome. Nothing to complain about!!

1 comment:

Hotboy said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Hotboy