Monday, December 19, 2005

Let the great Mincemeat Blog Festival Begin!


Ingredients
Originally uploaded by samsara_mom.
I can't believe that I started this at 7:30 in the morning. How is that for committment ?!

Without further adieu, here is the recipe. My gradmother's original was not passed on through the family, (only because we forgot to ask her to write it down)

However this recipe she personally tested and started to use. This shall henceforth be my "Grandmothers Mincement" (if only in spirit only!)

Ingredients:

8 lbs of apples
4 lbs of meat
1 lb suet (omit if using hamburger. I am using regular ground beef)
2 pkg seeded raisins
1 pkg seedless raisins (Thompson)
2 Oranges
1 lemon
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup molasses
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tspt nutmeg
1 tbsp cloves

Method: Cook over slow heat 2 hrs until meat is well done.
And grandma added the comment: "I use 1 more orange and lemon if using wild meat". And once upon a time in my life, we did.

Okay. I have apples to core, peel and grind.The smell of ground beef cooking in the morning is...

weird.

No comments: