Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Oh No not the D word...

I've decided that I am in need of more personal transformation. As if converting to Buddhism, learning to meditate, and quitting smoking we not already enough. I joined Weight Watchers.
I know, boring housewife stuff. Well hello folks...(large neon and chaser light sign pointing in my general direction) Thats what I am...right??

I've never been on a diet before. I loathe any product that says "Diet", "Lo Cal" or "Low Carb". Asparatime makes me want to hurl. I'm not the sort to order Diet Coke with my Whopper Meal. I take my sugar straight-up thank-you very much. I like my double double, sometimes twice a day. I have a litre of coffee cream in my fridge. However, over the past few months, there has been this unpleasant trend. I've been growing out of my clothes. No longer can I fit in my 10's...and recently a 14 is feeling comfortable. Then I noticed this real attractive roll that likes to hang out around the waste of my trousers. Like eww! And my arms suddenly got a little more floppy. Lets not talk about my ass and my underware, please.

So my sister came over for dinner a couple weeks ago. She looks amazing. She told me she lost 20 lbs on Weight Watchers...and I picked her brain about it for the rest of the evening. The next week we were off to my first meeting. I stepped on a scale for the first time in a year. 146.5.
I know to some this is a weight some could only dream about. I was a 110lb waif most of my life (the kind that didnt even need to work at the weight thing...the sort of person dieters outwardly loathed). Now, I am fully aware of the changes the body undergoes during three pregnancies and births...and matters did not help after I quit smoking. My present concern is my cushiony tushy and those love handles. Ick.

So, I am on my 20 point limit for the day...and do you know what folks...I am LIKING it. I must be a closet control-freak. I like the watching-what-you-eat rigamorole. And sure there are times that I could eat sugar coated lard, but I mostly enjoy making these really yummy dishes and beaming to my husband "The whole thing is only 2 points!!" I have discovered that my greatest love and pastime, Indian cooking works very well with Weight Watchers. The vegetarian stuff anyway. I even had some points to spare at the end of supper and now I am enjoying a Mikes Hard Lemonade with my blog. I must be completely fucking mad. Part of me discovered that fundamentally I have decent eating habits. I just cut out all the soda and snacks, watch the amout of oil and portion size. I was positively giddy when I discovered how much 3oz of Tofu really is. By the way, my farts are really pungent. I thought healthy food was supposed to alter one's flatulenic odour? Yeah, you all just needed to know that.

So this is day 4 of my diet. Yeah, I betcha I'll GAIN weight during my first weigh in. That is on Saturday. Until then, I'm going to kick back with my Lemonade and The Half-Blood Prince and imagine a side of popcorn...with BUTTER...

6 comments:

Kim said...

Sorry to hear you had to go on a diet. Glad to hear it's going well. I've GAINED 10 lbs this summer. Isn't that backwards? Doesn't everyone LOSE in the summer? The popcorn eating while blogging will do that to a person.

MC Etcher said...

Very cool new template!!

Viewing on my PC, the blue horizontal line cuts right through the middle of the blog title...

Heather said...

MC Etcher...that Is a IE problem I have discovered. I think I have a tweak - otherwise...best viewed in Firefox!!

Litany said...

Weight Watchers, cool!

Anything but Jenny Craig, I've heard terrible things!

OCD is helpful in so many situations!

Mary P. said...

I could have written that post! That's me: never dieted in my life, a size ten without trying, and then this sudden thickening of my formerly svelte self. What gives??

I'd considered WW, actually, but I'm not really overweight, just heavier than is normal for me. So if I walk in there, seeking to lose my extra 20 pounds, will I be sneered out of the room? Will I feel ridiculous for being so vain, fretting about my petty problem, when I'm with people whose struggle is so much more significant?

How ironic: I'm worried about not being fat enough!

notyouraverage.... said...

a friend of my does ww, when ever she needs to trim down a bit. try and add a little bit of exercise too - that's always good! (good for you.) i'm doing the exact opposite right now - fallen 'off the wagon' and eating all manner of junk. hopefully, this weekend ends the cravings.