Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Wold of Experience

I've been sitting with the conclusion that I am addicted to maps and plans. So far - I have not changed my mind and come up with another elaborate rationalization. I am beginning to think that this is what ego is designed for - to concoct new elaborate rationalizations when old ones fail.

Fatigue remains a scourge on my evening. Last night my husband did me the favor of removing my glasses as I slept on the sofa. Consciousness escaped me somewhere in the conclusion of CSI New York, as I eagerly anticipated Lost. (My new media preoccupation). Lately, it seems the space between falling asleep and waking is instantaneous. I had intentions of reading...but you know the old saying about what good intentions lead to...

Yes, I have given up on all maps, plans, instruction books, manuals and patterns. I try to resist temptation when I hear my inner map addict lament "What the hell are you going to do with yourself?" "you'll get lost in the wold of experience without a map dearie". And yes I used wold intentionally. I like the way it rolls off my tongue. Its nice to discover a tangentially appropriate opportuntity to use it.

I am getting a bit carried away here. This is why 10th grade history teachers beat the idea of having an essay outline into us...and why most university professors continue to torture our youth with this dangerously additicing task. (Its like adding heroin to Similiac I say). We all think we need maps! And see...without one, I roam all over the place. I'm talking about maps and next thing you know I am making some weird connection with infant formula.

Perhaps the result of living mapless is insanity.

Think about it.

No comments: